We’ve Got You Covered: Our Picks for 2021’s Best Car Insurance Companies
Car insurance is one of the most expensive parts of owning a vehicle. With so many options, it is hard to tell which are the best ones to go with. The answer to this varies depending on who is getting the insurance and what their needs are. Do you have a teen driver in the house? Do you have a sketchy driving history with a poor record? There are varying factors that will determine the right insurance for you. Whichever one you go with, there are options that will help save you money.
Below are five of the best car insurance options for 2021
Everyone has seen a Geico commercial at one point or another. Who can forget their claim about saving you 15% or more on car insurance. They are the second largest insurer in the U.S. and if you live in New York or Utah, you will save the most with them. In addition to their standard coverage, they have other benefits.
- Roadside assistance: Emergency road service will cover jump starts, towing, flat tire changes, and lockout services.
- Rental reimbursement: If you need to rent a car, they will help offset the cost while your car is being repaired.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI): This is similar to an extended car warranty. It covers repairs for all mechanical parts. It does not, however, cover maintenance or regular wear and tear.
- Student discount: If you have a student in the home, Geico offers a good student discount of up to 15 percent off.
They also offers discounts for:
- Defensive driving education
- Military personnel
- 5 years accident-free
- Cars with an anti-theft system
- Customer loyalty
If you are a high risk driver with past driving violations, Progressive is the choice for you. They have plenty of offerings and their quotes process is very user friendly. You can compare rates with competitors directly on their website when you use their price comparison tool. Additionally, they offer their Name Your PriceⓇ tool which allows you to provide your desired payment and view potential insurance plans.
- Lease/loan/ payoff: If you have an accident, Progressive will pay 25% towards your outstanding lease.
- Roadside assistance: Tire changes, towing, lockout services and fuel delivery fall under this feature.
- Rental reimbursement: If your car is in the shop for a claim, you will receive $30-$50/day for a car rental.
- Deductible savings bank: For every six-month period without a claim, you get a $50 credit toward your next deductible.
Nationwide Car Insurance
Nationwide sells insurance for cars, RVs, motorcycles, boats, ATVs, scooters and golf carts. For drivers concerned about high deductibles, Nationwide has their “vanishing deductible” feature. For each year you go accident free, you can earn $100 off your deductible, up to $500.
- Nationwide also offers accident forgiveness: If you get into an at-fault accident or have a minor violation, you can avoid a rate increase. You have to pay extra for this feature but the potential savings may help offset the extra cost.
- Nationwide offers SmartMiles: If you don’t drive a lot, this feature may be for you. Your rate will be based on a base rate and a cost per mile rate. This means your monthly premium will differ month to month based on miles driven.
- Multi-policy discount: Include home owners insurance with your car can you can save.
- Accident free and safe driver discounts: If you maintain a clean driving record you could receive a discount.
- Defensive driving discount: If you take a state-approved safety course, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Anti-theft discount: You can get a discount for having certain anti-theft devices on your vehicle.
- Easy pay sign-up discount: You will get a one time discount when you set up automatic payments.
- SmartRide program: When you first sign up, you can save up to 10%. Then, based on your driving habits, you can save up to 40% on your policy.
State Farm Car Insurance
State Farm sells insurance for cars, RVs, motorcycles, off-road vehicles and boats. They also offer features like rideshare insurance and car rental coverage and travel expenses.
- Safe driver discount: If you have gone 3 years without a moving violation or at-fault accident or you take a defensive driving course, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Good student discount: If you have a full-time student in your house and they have a B average or better, you can save up to 25%.
- Safe vehicle discounts: If you have a newer vehicle with the latest safety features, you can be eligible for savings.
- Loyal customer discounts: You can be eligible for a loyalty discount if you insure more than one vehicle or have other insurance types.
USAA Auto Insurance
USAA offers insurance for cars, boats, motorcycles, ATVs and motorhomes to current and former U.S. military members (along with spouses and children). They also offer accident forgiveness insurance (your rate will not go up after one at-fault accident). If you are a rideshare driver, there is special coverage for that too.
- Safe driver discount: If you keep a clean driving record for at least five years, you can save money on your premiums.
- Defensive driver discount: You can get a discount if you take an approved defensive driving course.
- Driver training discount: If any drivers under 21 take a basic driving course, money can be saved on your policy.
- Good student discount: Students who maintain good grades, you can receive a discount on your auto insurance.
- New vehicle discount: For cars that are three years old or newer, you can qualify for this discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount: For policies that cover two or more vehicles.
- Annual mileage: You may qualify for a discount based on miles driven per year.
- Vehicle storage: If you have a vehicle to store, you can save up to 60% on your auto insurance.
- Family discount: Do you have parents that have USAA insurance? If so, you can save on your premium.
- Length of membership savings: The longer you have coverage with USAA, the more opportunities to save money.
**Discounts vary by state.